The Paediatric First Aid Course is for professionals whose occupation involves the care of infants and/or children. The course teaches you how to provide emergency care and first aid for children of all ages and infants of less than a year old. It meets the requirements of Ofsted, registered childminders and the requirements for nannies under the Approved Carers Scheme.
It is also suitable for pre-school staff / nursery staff / play workers/ children centre staff / teachers / LSA’s & MTA’s / holiday camp workers / parent and toddler group volunteers/ foster carers / au pairs / mother’s helps / babysitters / community workers /youth workers / parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.
In order to comply with Ofsted the length of the course is 12 hours (this can be run over 2 days). This course can be in-house for up to 12 delegates or individuals can attend our open courses
The course covers the following:
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in the event of an emergency
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious
- Administer CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation)
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock
- Administer first aid to a casualty with burns and scalds
- Administer first aid to a casualty with injuries to bones, muscles and joints including spinal injuries
- Administer first aid to a casualty with eye injuries
- Administer first aid to a casualty with bites or stings
- Administer first aid to a casualty with the effects of heat or cold
- Administer first aid to a casualty with epilepsy, asthma and diabetes
- Administer first aid to a casualty with sudden poisoning
- Administer first aid to a casualty in anaphylactic shock
- Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Act safely, promptly and effectively with emergencies
- Use first aid equipment
- Understand employer duties and legislation
- Maintain first aid records
- Recognise the importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures
Assessment and Certification
The course is assessed via a practical exam. Successful delegates will receive an HSE approved paediatric first aid certificate, which is valid for three years.
I’m happy to negotiate the cost of each course depending on the number of students attending. We also deliver bespoke courses for individuals or small companies.
We are able to deliver this course on site, reducing your costs in respect of additional time out and travelling. If you only have a small number who need training then please contact us for course availability in your area
Candidates must be physically able to carry out the procedures detailed in the course outline and must attend all sessions to be eligible for assessment.
Please fill out the form below to enquire about a booking.